Modifiers can specify the level of service being provided, or be used to specify the type of provider that is rendering the service. They can also help describe why a procedure is necessary. It is important to have the correct modifiers because they tie into the fee schedule rate set by insurance.
NOTE: Modifiers are based on a billing class, which are selected on an employee file. This is important in the event that you add a new user account to your portal.
Jump to Section: [Access Modifiers] [Permission to View Modifiers] [Render Provider Override]
- Click on the Check Mark icon from the sidebar menu to access your Task List.
- Click Create Note, then select the type of note you would like to add from the drop-down menu.
NOTE: Alternatively, this can be done by selecting a client from the My Clients tab or typing a client name into the Client Search field, then clicking on the Notes tab.
- Select the Service Code 90837 from the drop-down menu. After you select the Service Code, the Modifiers section should appear below.
- Select the correct Modifiers.
Note: If insurance requires you to bill a specific modifier that is different from the current billing class setting, reach out to KASA Support (email@example.com) or your assigned billing team.
- Click Save.
Permission to View Modifiers
- You will only be able to view modifiers if you have the permission to do so.
- If you do not have permission to select a modifier, the modifier that is associated with your billing class will automatically attach after that note has been approved to bill.
Render Provider Override
If you have a rendering provider override in place to bill under a supervisors NPI and modifier, then the supervisor's modifier will automatically attach when the note is approved to bill. With an exception being when the providers select specific modifiers on the notes.